I promised you a recipe and damn it, you’re gunna get the recipe! And by Jove, you will thank me for it when you have tasted this salty, spicy, sweet meal and received praise and thanks from everyone you serve it too:-)
Today’s recipe is chargrilled chicken with charred pineapple wedges that can be cooked on a BBQ or on a griddle pan (my preferred cooking method – I don’t like fighting with nature when I am trying to get my grill-on)!
- 2 x Chicken breast with skin on
- 1 x small fresh pineapple – skin removed and chopped into larges wedges (6 is a good amount)
- 1 x tbsp sugar
- 1 x red chilli – sliced finely (choose your preferred spiciness)
- 2 x tbsp water
- 1 x tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the griddle pan so that it is hot hot hot!
- Rub the salt, pepper and oil all over the chicken, paying particular attention to the skin
- Place the chicken skin-side down and cook until the skin is charred and dark brown – about 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, place the pineapple wedges in a large bowl with the chilli, sugar and water, stir so that the sugar is dissolved and the chilli is distributed evenly
- Turn the chicken over in the pan so that thenon-skin side cooks
- At the same time, add the pineapple to the griddle pan
- The juices and water from the pineapple will keep the non-skin side of the chicken moist and the sugar on the pineapple will caramelise and char the fruit
- Turn the pineapple over after about 3 minutes
- Cook for a further 2-3 minutes so that both sides of the fruit are charred and the chicken is cooked through, piping hot in the middle – no one wants food poisoning after this meal!
- Serve the chicken and the pineapple together and add some green salad or some spicy rice if you want!