The sun is finally shining and if you’re anything like me you will not want to spend hot summer days sweating in the gym. Taking your workout outside will not only allow you to enjoy nature, the weather and fresh air but it is also a great way to spend time with friends and family.
1. Tennis – I love a game of tennis, especially if you and your partner are equally matched in skill level as it means you can achieve some really good rallies. You can choose to play with one opponent (singles) or team up against another pair of tennis players (doubles). Whilst playing tennis you can expect to burn between 350 and 600 calories and hour (depending on your weight) and you can enjoy Pimms and Wimbledon-style strawberries and cream afterwards!
2. Running – Running in the great outdoors is so much more enjoyable than pounding away on the treadmill. Choosing new routes allows you to see landmarks and sights you have not seen before and breathing in fresh air has to better than the sweaty smelly air of the gym, right? Running for an hour will burn around 400-1000 calories depending on how fast you run and your weight – and if it gets too hot you can always take a dip in a local river or the sea to cool off!
3. Rounders – During the summer months I compete in a local rounders competition, playing twice a week for about three months. Teams are made up of 9 people and you have three rounds of batting, and three rounds of fielding. For those who don’t know what rounders is, it’s similar to baseball! Rounders gives you an all-round workout with some aerobic action and it improves your throw! You can expect to burn about 300-400 calories per game.
4. Football – Now I can’t play football very well, but it is sooo much fun! Get a group of you in a local park/field with a ball and have a kick-about. So long as you don’t stand still for the whole match you will be giving your heart a good workout and also improving your co-ordination. In an hour you can burn around 400 calories!
5. Swimming – All the benefits of swimming can be seen in a recent post here but taking it outside into a pool, river or the sea just makes it more fun!
So they are my top 5 outdoor exercises – what do you enjoy doing outside?