I’m not the biggest fan of juice cleanses or shakes as a replacement meal. Instead I like to make smoothies out of REAL food and enjoy them as part of a balanced diet. I prefer my smoothies to be fresh and fruity rather than creamy so here are a couple of recipes that will get your taste buds tingling!
1. Frozen Berry Smoothie
This one mixes fruit and yoghurt so as well as getting a big hit of vitamins & berry goodness you also get a dollop of calcium as well – bonus!
- Half a bag of frozen berries (I prefer using mixed forest fruits but you can mix up any combination of your favourite berries)
- Fat free vanilla yoghurt (I use Muller Light Vanilla)
Put the berries and the yoghurt in a food processor and blend until you have a thick, slushy smoothie – it couldn’t be simpler!
2. Pineapple and Strawberry Fizz
This one is much lighter because it uses sparkling water instead of yoghurt, and it’s delicious if you add your favourite spirit (mine is Gin but Vodka or Rum would work well) and make it into a cocktail!
- Cup of strawberries
- Tin of pineapple chunks in syrup (the syrup gives a nice sweetness but use pineapple in juice if you prefer)
- Bottle of sparkling water
Put the fruit into the blender and blend until a thick pulp is created. Add the sparkling water and some ice and blend again until the ice is crushed and everything is evenly combined. Pour into a long glass and enjoy!
These smoothies make great breakfasts with a slice of toast or small bowl of cereal and they help you get your 5 a day without having to chow down on solid fruit and veg!
Do you have a favourite smoothie recipe? Do share…