Brussel Sprouts with smoked bacon, spinach and poached egg
This recipe is full of rich flavours and is perfect when you are in the mood for something warm and tasty! The mixture of vegetables and (trimmed) bacon with the egg means that this meal is devoid of starchy carbs whilst being full of nutritional goodness!
- Brusel Sprouts, halved (about 15 small sprouts or 30 halves per person)
- Smoked bacon, rind removed and trimmed into strips (2-3 rashers per person)
- Spinach – a whole bag!
- Egg – One per person
- Black pepper t season (no salt required as the bacon is salty enough)
- Spray oil
- Bring a small deep pan of water to the boil and add the halved brussel sprouts, boil for 3-5 minuted depending on how soft you like them)
- Meanwhile spray some of the oil into a non-stick frying pan and add the bacon lardons. Cook until brown
- Drain the brussel sprouts, leaving the water in the pan, and add them into the bacon pan
- Bring the water to a simmer and add the egg to poach
- Meanwhile, add the spinach to the bacon and sprouts, a handful at a time, so that it wilts
- Once the egg is cooked to your liking place the bacon, sprout and spinach mixture onto the plate and top with the egg
- Season with black pepper and serve immediately
This is a super easy recipe which is prepared and cooked in under 20 minutes – perfect when you don’t have much time or just want to get in front of the fire ASAP!