Did anyone else see Lorraine Pascale’s Home Cooking Made Easy this week? Whilst I am not a huge fan of Lorraine’s wooden on-screen presence, the pear salad she made in the first episode of this new series had my mouth watering!
You can find the full recipe here on the BBC website but I am not a huge fan of blue cheese so here is an adaptation…
Ingredients (Serves 4 people)
- 2 x 120g/4oz packets rocket
- handful pine nuts
- 16 slices pancetta
- 2 knobs of butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 pears, peeled, cored, quartered
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp honey, plus extra for the dressing
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, plus 2 tbsp for the dressing
- Distribute the rocket evenly among four serving plates.
- Heat a frying pan and toast the pine nuts for three minutes, or until golden-brown. Remove the nuts from the frying pan.
- Heat the pancetta in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook until crispy. Remove and set aside to drain on kitchen paper.
- Place a knob of butter and the oil into a clean frying pan set over a low heat. Once the butter melts, add the pears, salt, freshly ground black pepper and honey. Turn up the heat and cook for a further five minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for another minute, then take the pan off the heat. Remove the pears from the pan, reserving any juice that may be left.
- Arrange the pears and pancetta on top of the rocket leaves so each person has four quarters each.
- Now put the pan containing the pear juices back on the heat and add the remaining knob of butter, a dash of honey, salt and freshly ground black pepper and the pine nuts. Cook the mixture until warmed through.
- Pour the dressing over the pears and the rocket.